Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Closing a loop: 9/11, Mansions of the Lord, and Rick Rescorla

As I've noted here, I've been haunted by Mansions of the Lord from the soundtrack of "We Were Soldiers" and played at President Reagan's funeral. Making the rounds of my favorite blogs tonight, I learned for the first time about Rick Rescorla (who the film "We Were Soldiers" was about). And how he later became head of security at Morgan Stanley-Dean Witter at the south tower. Read all of Greyhawk's post at The Mudville Gazette (and pardon the incidental exclamatory profanity). Rick Rescorla was a brave and selfless soldier in Viet Nam and a brave and selfless hero on 9/11 who sang in crisis. Before I knew it, Mansions of the Lord was already Rick Rescorla's song. As Greyhawk notes, 9/11 was Rick Rescorla times 3,000. Never forget. And thank the Lord we still have such men in his service here and to guard his mansions there.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you hadn't heard that story before, as I know it was told in a post-9/11 General Conference, although I don't recall which conference, or by whom. You may want to look it up.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Garry Wilmore said...

That "anonymous" post was by me, although it was not by design that it shows me as "anonymous." My apologies.

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home