Friday, May 06, 2005

A new PowerBook and iPod in the house

I've rediscovered why I love Apple computer.

Bruno Correa (Brazilian student living with us this year) had ordered a Dell laptop (his friend Fabio had one). But, while waiting for his order to ship, after playing with Fabio's Dell and then trying out an Apple PowerBook at the BYU Bookstore, Bruno decided on the spot to cancel his Dell order and buy a 12" PowerBook with Tiger (Mac OS 10.4) loaded.

The fit and finish of the hardware is amazing. And the new operating system is amazing.

Since I've had a Mac since '84, Bruno asked me to help him out and show him around his new computer. The Dashboard Widgets (mini-programs like Weather, Package Tracker, Calendar, and World Clock) are slick. The new QuickTime is sweet -- a new H.264 codec makes computer video better than ever. And I've begun to take the coolness of iTunes and iPhoto for granted. After Bruno went to a movie with Shaun and Allie, I watched a lot of the 2005 MacWorld Expo Keynote by Steve Jobs showcasing Tiger.

For around a year, my main computer's been a dual USB 500 mhz iBook running Jaguar (Mac OS 10.2.8). It's got a G3 CPU, and a Combo Drive (reads and writes CDs, reads DVDs). But it's around 4 years old (was my mom's), and the screen is having backlight issues and the charge plug has a short.

After using Bruno's PB, I think I need a new Powerbook with a SuperDrive (to burn DVDs -- for backup). I can write it off as a business expense and use it as my primary computer at work, too.

Son David bought an iPod (20 GB) this week and has loaded around 600 songs on it so far. He also bought an iTrip today (a device that lets you play your iPod over any FM radio -- especially useful in the car).

I'm glad there's Apple in a Windows world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home