Monday, December 26, 2005

Clean top

After talking with longtime friend, Ralph Schindler, at his daughter's wedding last week (last time I saw him -- about 10 years ago -- he was bald; now he shaves his head), I decided to take the plunge and shave mine. Did the deed Christmas Eve, before going to Cindy's sister's for the evening. No one noticed.

Ralph told me about dozens of websites on the subject. This is the one I have bookmarked.

It was pathetic how little hair was on the floor after Cindy and the kids took turns buzzing me down to stubble. Cindy had resisted my taking off the remainder of my tonsure. But she (and I) took courage with other friends who have gone from hairpiece or little remaining hair to "totality". I followed Ralph's advice and got some shaving oil. I used a hot wet towel to thoroughly wet my scalp. Then I rubbed in several drops of shaving oil. Then I applied shaving gel. I used a Mach III Turbo razor, and it all went quite easily with no nicks or cuts.

Haven't carried a comb for years. Now no need to shampoo. Now I look like Vin Diesel.
(Sort of).

1 Comments:

Blogger Garry Wilmore said...

I've seriously thought of doing that, too, but Sheila has consistently vetoed the idea. I'm not sure why, though. If I tried it and didn't like the result, such hair as I have now would come back after a few weeks, so what's to lose by trying it out? Besides, my hair becomes unmanagable and curly once it reaches my ears, and I get tired of having to fool with it then.

Speaking of which, I got a haircut day before yesterday. I need one about once every three months or so, and now, every time I make the trip to Great Clips to have it done, I notice more and more gray hairs among the clippings. I really don't mind the gray hairs at all, and after everything I've been through in my life, I think I've earned every one of them. But the shaggy, unmanageable curls just about drive me crazy.

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home