Saturday, February 03, 2007

TGM's best popcorn in the world

I grew up having "PC" parties watching Johnny Carson with my family. This "recipe's" from my dad.

It is the best popcorn in the world. (It's not boasting if it's true, and it's easy to make.)

We use a Whirley-Pop popcorn popper, but you can use a wok or a large pot with a lid.


The secret is Nucoa no-burn margarine (a lactose-free, cholesterol-free margarine distributed by GFA Brands, Inc., Cresskills, NJ, and available at most grocery stores).

Put a whole stick of Nucoa no-burn in the Whirley-Pop with 3 kernels of popcorn. (It can be a store-bought brand -- doesn't need to be gourmet popping corn). Put the stove on high. (If you're using a wok or pot, put the lid on).

When the third kernel pops, pour in 2/3 cup of popcorn and start turning the handle to keep the popcorn moving (or shake the wok or pot back and forth over the heating unit).

When you don't hear any more pops, empty the popcorn into a large bowl.

Somehow the Nucoa lightly "butters" and "salts" the popcorn to perfection. The high heat also makes the kernels explode so they're light and fluffy.

Try it. You'll like it. And you won't be satisfied with microwave popcorn again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Garry Wilmore said...

This sounds terrific! I'm going to try it sometime in the next couple of weeks, and I'll report back to you on what I think of it. I figure if it's good enough for your fam, it's probably good enough for mine as well.

Is there any particular popcorn brand you prefer -- something like Orville Redenbacher's, or will any old brand do?

2:55 PM  
Blogger Garry Wilmore said...

I just reread your post, and my question has been answered, so you may ignore it. :-)

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home